|View of cathedral ruin from St Salvator's tower|
The town of St Andrews on the east coast of Fife has been an international centre of learning for over 600 years and, more recently, become a mecca for golfers from across the globe. This walk celebrates, in particular, the many historical connections between the town and other European nations.
In addition to the events commemorated along the route, St Andrews also experienced a raid by the German air force during the Second World War in 1942. It was this destructive conflict which gave rise to the idea of binding together the peoples of Europe in order to make another such war unthinkable. This concept has developed into the European Union of today.
The purpose of the European Movement, also founded in the aftermath of the Second World War, is to further promote closer understanding and greater unity amongst the nations of Europe. Today, the European Movement in Scotland (EMiS) acts as a non-party-political association pursuing that objective and seeking to develop closer ties with the European Union and other parts of the continent.
The complete circular walk is approximately 2.5 miles or 4 kilometres long, mostly over level ground apart from an inclined footpath down towards the harbour and, later along the walk, a short flight of steps which can be avoided by taking a more circuitous route.
The EuroWalk begins in St Salvator’s quadrangle, the main focus of the University, whose other premises are located throughout the town and beyond. The principal building in the quadrangle is the Chapel, consecrated in 1460, and at which the circular EuroWalk ends.
There are plentiful opportunities to stop for refreshments along the route - many with a continental flavour.
Images © University of St Andrews